Juli's Reviews > One by One

One by One by D.W. Gillespie

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This book left me with mixed feelings. It took quite a while to get into it and I was starting to get worried I'd DNF it. But then, family members started disappearing and my heart quickened. D.W. Gillespie really knows how to draw you into the fear, the confusion, the accusations that drive this story. I was genuinely frightened at times. For a while it is unclear what kind of villain we are dealing with and this makes this novel deliciously complex and triggers just the right emotions. For a while the book reminded me of the Amityville horror plot with a modern twist. Are these disappearances linked to a supernatural power, is the dad going crazy, is the protagonist completely unreliable, or is there something else at bay entirely? Eventually, I was able to predict the ending and that took away some of my enjoyment - particularly since the ending felt common.

So overall, this novel has a great middle wedged between a meh beginning and a boring ending. I still recommend this book because the middle portion was just really damn good.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One by One.

August 28, 2019 – Shelved
August 28, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 28, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-arcs
September 11, 2019 – Started Reading
September 28, 2019 –
October 13, 2019 –
70.0% "It took me way too long to get into this book."
October 13, 2019 – Finished Reading