megs_bookrack's Reviews > Jane Anonymous

Jane Anonymous by Laurie Faria Stolarz

bookshelves: arcs-read

Jane Anonymous is your run of the mill, 17-year old girl, living in a suburban town, New England state.

That is until she gets abducted while out running an early morning errand. She remains in captivity for 7-months. Locked in a room, alone.

This is her story, following 'then' and 'now' timelines until 'then' and 'now' merge.

The narrative itself is more 'stream of consciousness' then I tend to enjoy but I'll tell you what, in this case, it didn't bother me at all.

I actually feel that it was a smart choice by the author, as it made the conveyance of this wild tale seem more real. It feels like a friend telling you about a horrific thing that happened to them.

When I say 'horrific thing', I mean it. This book is not for the sensitive.

The violence perpetrated against Jane, being stripped of her freedom and her sense of safety, amongst other traumas, was hard to read.

Her efforts toward recovery were equally heavy and disturbing. In some ways, I think that was even more difficult to read, her struggles to try to adapt back to the life she had before.

Severe trauma, feeling broken and the pathways to recovery are all covered within these pages. I think if this book is read at the right time, by the right person, it could really mean a lot to them and become a favorite.

Hard-hitting the entire way through, if you can stomach it, I think the message of hope that ultimately shines through is worth the effort.

It was that way for me, at least. Although my heart was a little battered and bruised at the end, it was worth it.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Wednesday Books, for providing me with a copy to read and review. I appreciate it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Anonymous.

August 28, 2019 – Shelved
August 28, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
December 22, 2019 – Started Reading
December 22, 2019 –
16.0% "Horr-I-fying 😬😖🖤"
December 23, 2019 –
30.0% "The writing style took me a little while to get used to but it is really compelling! I can't stop reading!!"
January 1, 2020 –
38.0% "Wait, is he..."
January 2, 2020 –
51.0% "If this girl is being played like I think she's being played, I am going to be soooooo creeped out 😰😱"
January 3, 2020 –
56.0% "That was real sweet.
Jack ❤"
January 4, 2020 –
January 5, 2020 –
January 5, 2020 – Shelved as: arcs-read
January 5, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Berit☀️✨ Oh it is good to know that this is heavy, I’m debating between this one and another one to pick up today I think I want a lighter read after I finish long bright river! Looking forward to all your thoughts!

megs_bookrack Berit☀️✨ wrote: "Oh it is good to know that this is heavy, I’m debating between this one and another one to pick up today I think I want a lighter read after I finish long bright river! Looking forward to all your ..."If you are looking for a lighter read at the moment, definitely hold off on this for the moment. It's heavy from the very first chapter and doesn't let up for one second!