Kiri's Reviews > The Hadley Academy for the Improbably Gifted

The Hadley Academy for the Improbably Gifted by Conor Grennan

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade

This book starts out with an intriguing premise: Jack's conspiracy theorist friend Freddy spins wild yarns about an invisible island and a secret battle between good and evil — which turns out to be true! The Hadley Academy for the Improbably Gifted brings together teenagers who manifest a gift and are then trained to fight the evil Reapers. It's a little bit like a teen version of the X-Men. Except Jack apparently has no gift and we are left to puzzle out why he's been recruited. Some sinister things happen, and then several unlikely battles and escapes. It's an interesting setting, but I just couldn’t get all that invested in any of the characters. (This book also features one of my pet peeves, which is when a character gets a serious injury (e.g., breaks a wrist) and then on the next page seems to have forgotten this painful liability. If you're going to raise the stakes by hurting your characters, then they need to suffer, or credibility is lost.) I'd group this in with Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hadley Academy for the Improbably Gifted.

August 27, 2019 – Started Reading