Juli's Reviews > Curse of the Dead-Eyed Doll

Curse of the Dead-Eyed Doll by Thomas Kingsley Troupe

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, I love that middle-grade horror is starting to take off and is getting the attention it deserves. Thomas Kingsley Troupe's Haunted States of America Series is a lovely idea and a fun resource for any middle-grade library. I quite enjoyed Trapped in Room 217 and had high hopes for this book. Sadly, Curse of the Dead-Eyed Doll left me wanting more.

I love the author's motivation for this Key West haunted doll story. Haunted dolls are creepy, unpredictable, and something anyone could encounter at any time. I wish this concept would've translated into his story. I was mostly bored and sometimes confused by the plot. The build-up to the main protagonist's agony was lacking. I enjoyed that Al didn't believe in the superstitions of this doll. I liked that he challenged the warnings and dismissed them as coincidence or superstitions. But when the creepy events started to compile I was expecting a slow progression from disbelief to horror to belief. That didn't happen in my opinion. But that is exactly what would've made me, as the reader, scared as well. I wanted to experience the dread with Al. I wanted to live his emotions but I couldn't because they weren't on the page.

I will check out the other books in the series in hopes that they are more like Trapped in Room 217 and less like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of the Dead-Eyed Doll.

August 27, 2019 – Started Reading