Renee's Reviews > City of Gold

City of Gold by Carolyn Arnold

liked it

Matthew Connor is the privileged son of a billionaire senator who travels the world as archeologist and treasure hunter Gideon Barnes. When his photographer's girlfriend is abducted as leverage for him to find the Incan lost City of Gold by the too-lazy-to-do-it-herself villainess, he is forced into his latest adventure.

As an ancient history buff and huge Josh Gates fan, I was excited to get to read this book. The cast of characters was big and diverse, the chapters were short, and the plot moves along at a brisk pace. I liked this author's description and scene setting.

But there were so many POVs it gave the book a popcorn-y feel as it bounced back and forth from one scene to the next. I found myself skimming all the scenes BUT the actual expedition. The villains, in particular, seemed cookie-cutter, and their dialogue was trite and cliched. Very Film Noir. The "archaeologist" was definitely more treasure-hunter than scientist, with no scientific method or thought of cultural respect or artifact preservation. The fact that he was a billionaire's son and all danger could have been averted with one call to his dad really deflated the tension for me. It was an okay, fun read to pass the day, but I was hoping for more tension and depth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Gold.

August 27, 2019 – Started Reading