M - The long hot spell's Reviews > Split

Split by Tara Moss

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, audio-books

This was a serial-killer mystery read that that was quick, easy, and fairly well done. As a main protagonist, I am happy with Makedde Vanderwall who has a few annoying traits which keep her interesting, while also being strong and driven. Adding to the storyline is that Mac is a forensic psychology PhD student and has links to law enforcement. Her father is a retired police officer and one of her exes is an Aussie detective moving into a serial killer focus.

Sure, Mac’s a serial killer magnet (and (view spoiler)). But hey, I knew there were six books in the series so I’d have been a tad silly to expect the story to be 100% realistic. I mean, the girl's gotta have more run-ins with serial killers. Obviously. Right? I’m unsure how Moss deals with this in future instalments yet, but I’m not too worried about it.

I listened to Split as an audiobook and Tara Moss narrated it. She doesn’t do ‘voices’ in her recordings (i.e. doesn’t change her voice for the different characters) which I found I didn’t mind at all. To be honest, I’d rather that, than someone doing voices badly. Plus, I was sick while I was listening to Split and I felt like a had a sweet friend sitting there reading me a nasty but exciting story. (So, thanks, Tara :D)

At one point I had a giggle realising people’s height had been mentioned a lot. Then I remembered Moss is tall. I reckon being tall, especially as a woman, could make you hyper aware of height in general.

I like the way Moss writes her (serial-killer) scary scenes and Split kept me entertained from start to finish. I’ll be reserving Covet (book three) soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split.

August 26, 2019 – Shelved