Lix Hewett's Reviews > Unpredictable

Unpredictable by Eileen Cook

it was ok
bookshelves: enraging-fail, romance

The second half of the book (from spring cleaning with Jane and on) bumped this up from one star to two, but it wasn't enough to redeem it. There must have been a way to get to the premise (girl fakes being psychic to get ex-boyfriend back) that didn't involve a) breaking and entering, b) hating on the ex's new girlfriend, c) the new girlfriend being presented throughout the whole book as catty and shallow, as if that makes up for anything, and d) that whole thing where Sophie kept stealing her ex's socks and moving her car in order to make him think he's losing it.

Eventually she comes to her senses a bit, and there were parts I really enjoyed--Jane, who, I'm serious, is essentially Jane Kerkovich from Happy Endings, reorganizing Sophie's life and doling out advice like a machine; Sophie's mom; even Nick, the love interest, aside from not being able to understand what about Sophie-on-her-downward-spiral appealed to him; and chapter 23 was fantastic and made me want to clean ALL THE THINGS, for serious. And I liked the slow progression of her getting over Doug and realizing being with him is settling and that she doesn't want him. That said, I could have done without Sophie mistaking a study program called Cathie for a girl Nick is dating, and without Nick's stilted, unnecessary speech about himself in the last chapter, and with a couple more chapters for aftermath + payoff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unpredictable.

March 16, 2012 – Started Reading
March 16, 2012 – Shelved
March 16, 2012 –
0.0% "I've only read the first chapter so far, and I'm going to keep reading because I enjoy Eileen Cook's writing, it's pretty smooth, but the protagonist is painfully unself-aware and this close to having a restraining order put on her person. (Also apparently shares a name with Hex Hall's heroine. I'm not going to make any comparisons.)"
March 16, 2012 –
5.0% "Sophie is actually a pretty compelling character when she's not stalking anyone or hating on women who get close to her ex. Shame she does that so often."
March 25, 2012 –
13.0% "I don't understand how a person can be this clueless about how reprehensible what she's doing is and how utterly pointless it is. She makes a pro-con list with more cons than pros, most of them valid, and still goes for this shit? Why is her-future-love-interest-I-assume helping her? How can her best friend say everything I'm thinking and yet the book goes on with the crazy psycho antics? I don't get it."
March 28, 2012 –
50.0% "This is like everything I hate about romantic-comedy comedy rolled into one book, god. I want to care but Sophie is so profoundly out of touch with everything, holy shit."
March 29, 2012 –
50.0% "You guys, Sophie's friend Jane is basically Jane Kerkovich. It's so great. Except for not being sure why she's friends with Sophie."
March 30, 2012 – Finished Reading