Michaelene's Reviews > Black Tie Billionaire

Black Tie Billionaire by Naima Simone

bookshelves: author-arc, businesswoman, drama-llama, enemies-to-lovers, fake-it-til-you-make-it
Read 3 times

3.5 stars!

I always find satisfaction in a Naima Simone book and Black Tie Billionaire was no exception.

This is book two in Simone's Blackout Billionaires series, and as such, this couple is also a victim of the city-wide blackout that happens in Chicago at a gala. This time, it's Gideon Knight--self-made tech start-up Billionaire, and Shay Neal--a businesswoman and socialite who is undercover as a waitress. And succinctly, Shay is also the younger sister of Gideon's long-time enemy, Trevor Neal.

The threads in this story were woven super tight. Everything is connected in such a way that there were a few big reveals and "oh, sh*it" moments that kept me reading late into the night. Gideon has a heap of guilt on his shoulders, and his way of dealing with it is blackmailing the sister of his enemy. I love that even though he has his anti-hero moments, he's very much a good guy. The consent is verbal and absolute in many occasions, and I loved it.

Then there were the moments of checked privilege on Shay's side that just sweetened the pot. Shay was a gem as well. She has a kind heart, but she's no man's pushover either.

It did feel a little bit over the top in certain parts, however. I like my share of drama, but it felt like there was so much going on that it lost a bit of its power towards the end. The proclamations came too fast and were resolved too easily, and I wasn't 100% satisfied.

That said, this book covers a lot of ooey-gooey tropes. Mistaken identity, blackmail, fake relationship, enemies-to-lovers...the mashup just worked here. I'm eagerly anticipating the next book in the series.

*I reviewed an arc via the author in exchange for an honest review. Reviewed by Michaelene for the Librarian's Corner*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Tie Billionaire.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
July 26, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 26, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
August 24, 2019 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 24, 2019 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 26, 2019 – Shelved