megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Look-Alike

The Look-Alike by Erica Spindler

liked it
bookshelves: 2020-releases, arcs-to-read, thriller-mystery-to-read

**2.5-stars rounded up**

Ten years ago, Sienna Scott, stumbled across the body of a murdered girl. Sienna was leaving the library of her college and it turned out the dead girl was a classmate.

Understandably traumatized by this event, Sienna has a hard time forgetting the incident.

In fact, she has analyzed it so much, she thinks she was the actual target that night, not the poor dead girl.

This coupled with some family issues, leads to Sienna getting shipped off to live with her Grandmother in London, where she becomes a professional chef.

Now upon returning to Tranquility Bluffs, a decade later, Sienna immediately begins to fixate again on the murder. They never caught the real killer after all. He could still be out there and after her.

Sienna's mentally unstable mother is a huge part of this narrative. Her delusional disorder makes it close to impossible for her to be around Sienna, as Sienna's safety is one of her biggest triggers.

I have to be honest and say, this whole dynamic made me super uncomfortable. Something about it just did not work for me.

I would actually say, overall, the author's writing didn't work for me. There were entire aspects to the plot that drove me crazy. Number one being the relationship with the neighbor.

There were a lot of red herrings and plot twists. At times, I felt myself sort of getting into it. Then something wonky would come up and it would kick me right out of the story again.

I would put this in a middling to average category for Adult Thrillers.

With this being said, there is a reader for every book and just because this didn't work for me personally, doesn't mean you won't love it!

If the premise sounds interesting to you, give it a try. Don't let me sway you!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Macmillan, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

Even though this one wasn't necessarily for me, I still appreciate the opportunity so much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Look-Alike.

August 26, 2019 – Shelved
February 5, 2020 –
page 129
February 6, 2020 –
page 157
50.48% "This 'thing' with the neighbor...

((insert biggest eye roll here))"
February 6, 2020 –
page 175
56.27% "So many breaths she didn't know she was holding...

"
February 7, 2020 –
page 240
77.17% "Really pushing to finish this up today!"
February 7, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

ABookwormWithWine I'm reading this right now and I'm intrigued. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

message 2: by Cait S (new) - added it

Cait S Yeahhh, I DNF'd this ARC. It was very odd and not...great.

megs_bookrack ABookwormWithWine wrote: "I'm reading this right now and I'm intrigued. Sorry it didn't work out for you!" Glad it is working for you! I could pretty much tell from the start that the writing style wasn't necessarily in my wheelhouse. I definitely know a lot of people have really liked it!

megs_bookrack Cait S wrote: "Yeahhh, I DNF'd this ARC. It was very odd and not...great." Very middling to average for me. There were parts that made me absolutely cringe. The plot was fast paced but just not for me.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Another fabulous review!!😉💋💖👍

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Another fabulous review!!😉💋💖👍"
Thank you, sweetie! 😚💜

preoccupiedbybooks I gave this the same rating! 😬

megs_bookrack preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "I gave this the same rating! 😬"Did you!? Yeah, I wish I could have enjoyed it more, but something about the whole thing was off.