M - The long hot spell's Reviews > The Institute

The Institute by Stephen King

bookshelves: horror

This was my aha moment regarding Stephen King. I hadn’t placed him in the writers I didn’t like category—not at all—but I had only read ‘On writing’ (which was non-fiction) and ‘The Dead Zone’, and that was fair. ‘The Institute’ really is an excellent tale.

It’s long novel, yet I didn’t complain all the way through. Amazing :P It’s well crafted from characters to plot. King wove two story threads together SO well. Wow. There were many people in this book I liked and got behind, including the child protagonist, Luke.

Luke is a genius about to start two colleges concurrently when he was snatched away to The Institute. Things are rough there. Frightening, though not in a bloody way. You can find out exactly what’s happening at The Institute by reading the novel but I will place a few spoilers below, for those who have read this already.

Spoiler time:

(view spoiler)

I’ve come out of ‘The Institute’ not as a die-hard King fan (yet) but certainly in awe of the fact that’s he’s a terrific storyteller who writes solid novels, and as a person who will read more from him. No doubt. I mean, see how it was nearly 500 pages long, and I only mentioned it once? (Well, sure, it’s twice now!) There’s something down to earth about his writing. It’s darn good. And I thoroughly enjoyed his references to US politics -  Clinton, and you know…the one they have now.

PS A note for Mr King. Could we have a novel where Sherriff John is one of the central characters, please? Uh-huh, uh-huh.

This review is also published on my blog: The Long Hot Spell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Institute.

August 26, 2019 – Shelved
January 23, 2020 – Started Reading
January 23, 2020 –
page 31
6.39% "It’s a long book! 😬 IfI don’t like it enough I am not going to finish it. But it’s interesting enough so far...I’m curious to know where it’s all heading for Tim and the people of DuPray. 🤞🏻"
January 25, 2020 –
page 171
35.26% "This story is nasty. Nasty I tell you. Of course I'm loving it. I'm really happy to like many of the characters so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how the two (I assume at this stage it's just two) story threads will come together."
January 28, 2020 –
page 338
69.69% "It’s so good - I could hardly put the book down tonight!"
January 29, 2020 –
page 398
82.06% "This story is SO good!"
January 31, 2020 – Finished Reading