Azer Koculu's Reviews > Quran

Quran by Anonymous

it was ok

Quran was compiled by a committee leaded by Uthman 20 years after Muhammad past away. Muhammad asked his followers to write down his speeches, but never saw this book, just like Jesus never saw Bible. They were all compiled later. And Uthman was murdered before he finished his work. To understand Quran really well, Hadith must be read, too. Then we can have an holistical view of what they were up to.

Muhammad is not the Author. God (Allah) is definitely not the Author. Angels are not WiFi networks, and therefore this book was not delivered by angels to Muhammad, too. Muhammad was just a bright, kind human being who made a revolution to transform a society. Thankfully, he succeded. I like his core ideas, but today's muslim world is a shame, they don't know their own history. They memorize Quran like a parrot, without understanding the book.

Most stories told in Quran are derived from Torah. Most of them are shortened and changed. The only original story in the Quran is the story about Saleh's Camel, everything else is taken from Torah. We know this really well in 2019 because we got internet and we have printing technology for ages. At that age, it was easy to claim that the book was written by God. If it was, I think God would prefer telling his/her own original stories instead of ripping off Torah. Or at least, it would credit Torah.

Anyways. I'm rating the book as 2, because it's very unstructured and its foundation has ethical issues such as not being explicit about how it was formed, when it was written, and its influence from other books. To be able to lecture people about moral rules, a book has to get its foundation straight first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quran.

Finished Reading