Raghu's Reviews > The Myths of Innovation

The Myths of Innovation by Scott Berkun

Jul 11, 2007

Recommended to Raghu by: reference from the web
Recommended for: dorai thodla
Read in July, 2007

This book is an absorbing read about the idea of innovation, the associated myths of how innovation happens and succeeds eventually. The book is only about 150 pages and is an engaging read. It shows how we can all be innovators and examines the great innovations of history and shows how they are mostly the products of hard work on one's part, the knowledge of the domain from the past and how it is mostly the work of a team rather than a sudden epiphany of one individual who has spent just a few hours on the idea. In fact, the book shows how important it is to identify problems rather than solutions on the road to innovation. Also, it delinks the success of an innovation from the intrinsic beauty of the innovation, saying that the best innovation need not be the one that succeeds in the real world. He shows how other socio-cultural, economic and business factors come into play in adopting an innovation by society. Berkun talks about how there is always resistance to new ideas in all of us and what role it plays in innovation. Overall, the book gave me a great feeling about the possibility of each of us being capable of pursuing an innovative idea if only we spend a lot of work on throwing up hundreds of ideas and thinking about them without constraints and 'brainstorming' with friends/colloborators. Though Berkun grants the brilliance of a Steve Jobs or Newton and Einstein, he demystifies the myths surrounding their phenomenal accomplishments and gives you hope of achieving something creative and innovative by ourselves.
The other great contribution of the book is its references and footnotes which point to many web sites with valuable information on this whole subject. Following each of them itself would take weeks but it must be done in order to get the full impact of Bertkun's book.
I loved reading it and I would recommend it very much to anyone interested in 'Innovation'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Myths of Innovation.