Karen's Reviews > Permission to Feel: Unlocking the Power of Emotions to Help Our Kids, Ourselves, and Our Society Thrive

Permission to Feel by Marc Brackett

190448

“But the trigger is inside us, not out there. We have to take responsibility for our actions rather than shift the blame elsewhere. It may not have felt like a choice, but it surely was—we decide how we’ll respond to life’s provocations.”

I find it interesting that so many people are unhappy with the title of this book. The way I interpreted it was that if we really own the feelings we have, name them, and let ourselves feel them, we can then decide how to respond to them. To be able to get to the place of responding it's really important to actually feel your feelings. Lack of awareness, lack of naming, are, in my opinion, all ways in which we don't always give ourselves permission or space to feel the feelings. Maybe I misinterpreted what the title was trying to say but alas this interpretation made the title totally make sense for me.

I've seen Marc Brackett live before when he visited the elementary school my kids attended at the time, I've sent my kids to SEL-heavy schools all the way from elementary to high school. I believe strongly in Marc's assertion that a high EQ is going to be crucial to one's success in life. So I was already a primed audience for this book.

And it didn't disappoint. I think the parts where the book shines are where the author shares his own journey and experiences. I wish there were more of that. I like the RULER framework: recognizing, understanding, labeling, expressing and regulating. I've found journaling can really help me with the first three and I am constantly working on the latter two.

It was painful to read the chapter on emotions at home and understanding how much of my learning comes from my own history and how much I am impacting my children's story. I am grateful that there are opportunities to course-correct but I also am reminded how much more I have to work on this in my home (and in my work!)

Even if the title makes you uncomfortable, or maybe especially then, I would recommend this read. IMHO, emotions are there whether we acknowledge them or not and they have the capacity to wreak havoc when we don't.

thank you to the publisher and netgalley for an advanced copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Permission to Feel.

August 25, 2019 – Shelved