Richard's Reviews > Blood of Elves

Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski

liked it

After reading Sword of Destiny and The Last Wish I thought I knew what I was in for with this series. Both books feature interconnected tales of Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher. Both books are very enjoyable. Blood of Elves is the beginning of an epic fantasy. This is a major gear change.

All the things you would expect from an epic fantasy are present.

The politics are essential to understanding why the events are unfolding in the greater world but they bored me to death and seemed to take up too much of the book.

Geralt is the main character up until about the last forty pages. Then Ciri steps into the spotlight. This also took away from my enjoyment. Then the book just kind of ends. Chapters of both books One and Two read like episodes of a T.V. series; was it planned that way?

The take away is the cool cover, which again doesn't correspond to events in the book, and a couple of fight scenes. One on a river and another toward the end of the book. Both end unsatisfactorily.

Since each book isn't whole on it's own, and only parts of the overall story, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't prepared to read the series all at once.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of Elves.

August 25, 2019 – Started Reading
August 25, 2019 – Shelved
August 26, 2019 –
page 80
20.1% "How does one shout quietly? Evidently Triss Marigold knows the knack."
September 3, 2019 –
page 315
79.15% "Politics, politics, cool monster, politics, rain, politics...."
September 4, 2019 – Finished Reading