James Thane's Reviews > Purgatory Bay

Purgatory Bay by Bryan Gruley

bookshelves: brian-gruley

In Purgatory bay, author Bryan Gruley has created a deliciously intricate and complex puzzle that will keep readers guessing from beginning to end while furiously turning the pages along the way.

Twelve years ago, Jubilee Rathman's family was brutally murdered by Detroit mobsters who had ensnared Jubilee's father into laundering money for them and who then slaughtered the family and set their home aflame, believing that Jubilee's father had ratted them out to the authorities and to two newspaper reporters. Only Jubilee and her brother Joshua, who was badly burned in the attack, survived.

Jubilee, who was once a model student and a star high school soccer player bound for the Ivy League, has spent the years since the attack plotting her revenge against those she blames for the deaths of her father, mother and sister and for the maiming of her brother. She has reinvented herself and her brother, and she’s built a large, fortress-like complex on Purgatory Bay, protected by the latest technological devices and administered by a digital assistant named Frances, who is basically Alexa on steroids.

Jubilee sets her plan into motion on a weekend when a prestigious girls’ hockey tournament is scheduled to be played in neighboring Bleak Harbor. She has used the tournament as an opportunity to draw into her web Michaela “Mikey” Deming who, as a young reporter, wrote a story that Jubilee believes betrayed her father and put him in the sights of the mob killers. Her other targets include a member of the crime family that attacked her family, another reporter, a former cop and others. But Jubilee intends to hit most of these people indirectly in a way that will cause them to suffer the same pain that she has endured since that night twelve years ago.

As I suggested above, this is a very intricately plotted novel, and Gruley reveals the vital information slowly, in bits and pieces, as the story progresses. For much of the book, the reader is unsure exactly what is happening or why, and the tension builds to a great climax where everything finally falls into place. Gruley has demonstrated his considerable talent in four previous books, the Starvation Lake series and last year’s Bleak Harbor, but Purgatory Bay is his best yet and is sure to win him large numbers of new fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purgatory Bay.

Started Reading
August 25, 2019 – Shelved
August 25, 2019 – Shelved as: brian-gruley
August 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Bryan Thank you!

message 2: by Jacque (new) - added it

Jacque I loved Bleak Harbor, so when I saw your rating of this, I knew it had to go on my list!

message 3: by Georgiana (new) - added it

Georgiana Cave Ive loved the previous books-- thanks, Jim.

message 4: by Georgiana (new) - added it

Georgiana Cave Now I see I can't get it till next year😢

James Thane Jacque wrote: "I loved Bleak Harbor, so when I saw your rating of this, I knew it had to go on my list!"

Let me know what you think of it, Jacque.

James Thane Georgiana wrote: "Ive loved the previous books-- thanks, Jim."

You're welcome, Georgiana, and next year will be here before you know it!

message 7: by Clyde (new)

Clyde Damn. Cannot get it yet.
James, I suppose you got an ARC.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Baxter Thanks for the excellent review, James. Sounds like a good one.

Bryan For those on Net Galley, it is available there

James Thane Clyde wrote: "Damn. Cannot get it yet.
James, I suppose you got an ARC."

Yeah, I lucked out for a change!

James Thane Kate wrote: "Thanks for the excellent review, James. Sounds like a good one."

Thanks, Kate.

message 12: by Sherrie (new) - added it

Sherrie Thanks, James. Frankly, I was not a big fan of Bleak Harbor. This review will make me give the series another try.

James Thane Sherrie wrote: "Thanks, James. Frankly, I was not a big fan of Bleak Harbor. This review will make me give the series another try."

I'll look for your review, Sherrie.

message 14: by K (new)

K Great review, James. You’ve peaked my interest.

James Thane K wrote: "Great review, James. You’ve peaked my interest."

Thanks, K.

message 16: by Melliott (new)

Melliott Is it a series where you need to read the first one before this?

James Thane Melliott wrote: "Is it a series where you need to read the first one before this?"

No. You can read this as a stand-alone, Melliott. The stories take place in the same general area and there is one character that carries over, but they are otherwise totally independent.

message 18: by Marty (new) - added it

Marty Fried Jubilee sounds interesting - does she have a dragon tattoo? ;-)

message 19: by Ron (new)

Ron Chicaferro Good review! Its now on my 'to read' list!

message 20: by Li'l Owl (new) - added it

Li'l Owl Terrific review, James!

message 21: by Pat (new)

Pat Five stars from you - it must be good!