Viv's Reviews > An Unforgettable Christmas

An Unforgettable Christmas by Ginny Baird

U 50x66

bookshelves: netgalley-reads

Oh, boy. I am so ready for Christmas after reading this book. I could say that it is basically the pinnacle of Christmas books - given the setting as well as the publisher (I mean, Hallmark - basically Christmas central on the telly right?), but I do think that might be unfair to the many, many other Christmas novels out there.
This was an adorably sweet, heartfelt and of course, Christmassy novel. It tells the tale of Angie - a widowed single mother (with an adorable son Pepe, mum and grandmother all living in the same apartment) and Sam - her boss at the jewellery store where she works. After Sam slips and hits his head, he experiences a form of amnesia, and can't remember the last 20 or so years! And so, Angie has to take care of him until he recuperates his memories. And yes, it does sound very cheesy - but who ever said that that was a bad thing?
Characterisation:
One of my favourite things to read, is stories where a character truly does begin to grow and change - no matter their age. And in this, Sam does. Prior to the fall, Sam was a workaholic with less than perfect relationships with lots of people - Angie, his friends, as well as his dad. Over the course of the time where he's without his memories, all of this begins to change. He rebuilds these relationships, and even after he (view spoiler) he maintains these relationships.
Angie was a fantastic female protagonist. Strong, determined, whip smart, just a lovely human, and a perfect match for Sam.
Storyline and Writing:
Although the plot is fairly cheesy/cliche, it still hit the mark. The plot moved at a satisfactory pace, not too fast and not too slow. I did note however, a few points where I felt that the writing was a little bit stilted or too cliche, but these really didn't have any effect on my enjoyment of the novel.

Overall:
A sweet, warm and enjoyable novel, perfect for when you want to get into the Christmassy spirit. Bring on December!
Note: I was very generously gifted an ARC of this novel from the author and publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unforgettable Christmas.

August 17, 2019 – Started Reading