Jennifer (JC-S)'s Reviews > The Year of the Fruit Cake: or Aliens with Irony

The Year of the Fruit Cake by Gillian Polack

bookshelves: australian-author, australian-womens-writers-challenge, owned

‘Don’t stop me now!’

Meet Diana, Antoinette, Janet, Trina and Leanne. Five middle-aged women. The fate of humankind could be in their hands. How on earth can that be?

Read on. You will find, Gentle Reader, that an alien anthropologist is amongst this group of women. She is inhabiting a perimenopausal human body (for good scientific reason) and is tasked with the seemingly impossible: making sense of Earth’s reality and advising whether Earth should continue. Hmm.

Good, sound research involves both chocolate (mentioned 120 times) and coffee (only mentioned 20 times). It also involves the reader understanding why (and how) aliens are judging humankind. Gulp.

‘My problem with writing about humans is that, in order to write about one, I virtually have to become one.’

And I’m not going to ruin your journey through Ms Polack’s book by divulging any more of the story. It’s clever, it’s cynical, it’s funny and full of irony (and references to chocolate).

‘It is easy to know everything when one lacks experience.’

Good novels, like fruitcake itself, are compounds. And, like fruitcake, it’s not always possible to distinguish each of the ingredients. For me, there are some unlikely ingredients, but the more I read the more likely they became. I never thought I’d enjoy a novel about a perimenopausal mostly mindwiped alien, but I did. Mostly.

‘This is the way the world ends. Whether it’s the world of humans or the world of an individual human, it will end. With numbers.’

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Fruit Cake.

August 24, 2019 – Started Reading
page 200
August 31, 2019 –
page 250
September 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Sounds like a hoot :D

Jennifer (JC-S) Well worth reading.

message 3: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire This sounds interesting and fun

Jennifer (JC-S) And clever 😊