Molly Tyler's Reviews > Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee

Furious Hours by Casey Cep

Casey Cep's true crime novel is one of a kind. She opens with what you'd expect – a look into the life and mysterious circumstances surrounding Willie Maxwell, "the Reverend". Just as you start to get hooked into the story of his many relatives mysteriously turning up dead, followed by suspicious insurance payouts to the Reverend himself, the narrative comes to an abrupt end as the alleged killed becomes the victim.

As intriguing as all of that is, the real heart of this book shines through when Cep digs deeper into the lives of two key figures connected to Maxwell's strange circumstances. "Big Tom" Radney's political and legal careers offer almost as many twists and turns as the murders, and there's no denying the fascination Harper Lee's involvement sparks. I came to this book for the promise of a mystery tinged with a bit of voodoo, but was much more impressed with what I actually found – a portrait of one of America's favorite authors.

While I think some true crime fanatics may be disappointed by the turn this book takes, those with a love of literature will likely find the last third to be the most thrilling pages. I personally found myself unable to put Furious Hours down after I reached Part III. I think personal tastes will likely dictate how satisfied readers are with the overall trajectory, but for my part, I think the structure is fitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furious Hours.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
August 24, 2019 – Shelved