Kate's Reviews > The Roxy Letters

The Roxy Letters by Mary Pauline Lowry

liked it

If I had started reading this book and it hadn't been a galley, I probably would have put it down after the first chapter -- I was pretty sure the tone wasn't for me, and Roxy seemed to be the kind of character who would drive me bananas (spoiler: she was). But the thing is, I kept reading since I wanted to be able to give an accurate review, and by the end of the book she had grown on me?? And her wacky friends had, too? And I wanted to know how she would resolve all the zany hijinks she'd gotten into?

I think one way this book suffered was that it seemed like it was trying too hard to be Bridget Jones's Diary, but in Austin. Roxy referenced BJD more than once, so this seemed pretty clear to me. The whole book is told through Roxy's letters to her ex-boyfriend (that she stops giving to him pretty much immediately, so it's basically her diary instead), and I really liked this setup, but I would have enjoyed it more if Roxy had her own voice from the beginning -- it felt like she was always trying so hard to be witty.

Some of the plot elements were pretty predictable, but that's not necessarily a complaint (I knew what to expect as soon as I read the description). But those zany hijinks, y'all -- they were so off the wall sometimes! Again, if it hadn't been a galley, I would have said, okay, this is ridiculous and I'm putting this book down. But I definitely felt more along for the ride by the end of the book, so your mileage may vary.

The love story was cute, but felt like an afterthought, which is both a) good because it felt like this was Roxy's story, not Roxy's love story and b) bad because I really didn't care if she got together with the guy at the end (and the twists, and the hijinks...).

Mostly, my feeling throughout this book was that Roxy seemed too old (25) to be getting up to the sorts of mischief she does in this book. But then I thought about it and realized that working a part-time job at a grocery store, trying to make new friends and figure out dating, and making a ton of stupid mistakes was true for several of my friends/acquaintances at 25 (I was in grad school, which was its own foolishness) so maybe it's not so far off after all. I expect that will be a complaint from older readers, though.

Anyway: overall verdict is that this book is all over the place but ends up being weirdly endearing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roxy Letters.

Finished Reading
August 24, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Noreen Anastasia You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me with this review.