Karen's Reviews > The Little Drummer Girl

The Little Drummer Girl by John le Carré

Mar 15, 2012

bookshelves: novels
Read from March 23 to 29, 2012

Where does reality become fiction? Where does fiction become reality? Can they exist together? The spy novel genre is not usually one that I choose to read. I was impressed, though, with Le Carre's wealth of knowledge with the inside workings of the world of espionage. How does he know so much and in such detail? On the one hand, I applaud the story's intricacies, the slow reveal of each and every plot detail. At times, I had a hard time hanging on to the intended growing suspense. I felt like I was being lead through a complex maze of reality and quasi- reality sequences with the intent of putting me through what the character, Charlie was going through as she melded her persona into someone entirely uniquely scripted, that of a spy. The book's slow pace with so few clues to boost my energy, made the reading psychologically frustrating. Get to the point already! I had difficulty keeping track of the character's multiple names, too. Le Carre's strength in this novel lies, I think, in his in-depth characterization of Charlie. He was able to brilliantly capture much of her emotional angst during her transformation into the undercover world.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Drummer Girl.