CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨'s Reviews > Frankly in Love

Frankly in Love by David   Yoon

My full review of Frankly in Love can be found on my blog, The Quiet Pond.

Thank you to Penguin NZ for providing me an ARC in exchange for a review; this does not affect my opinions of the book.

This is not a YA romance that centers on the fake-dating trope, despite what the book trailer strongly implies.
Rather, this is a story about identity, love, life, and how life just keeps on going. It wasn't perfect (see below), but this book resonated with me a lot. This was a book written for children of Asian immigrant parents.

- Follows Frank, a Korean-American teen in his senior year of high school, who falls hard and fast for Brit. Problem? She's not Korean and his parents disowned their daughter years ago for not dating a Korean man. Thus, Frank gets around his parents' rules by fake-dating his family friend who is Korean.
- Elaborating on my first sentence here: this book does have the fake-dating trope, and it's the first half of the book. The second half of the book, however, shifts the focus and explores love in unusual circumstances, navigating change, and how life sometimes throws you a curveball.
- There was a lot of things that I loved about this: the language and Frank's sharp narrative voice; the exploration of Asian diasporic identity and the very minute nuances of how messy and confusing and challenging it can be; the tenuous relationship diasporic kids can have with their parents, our histories, language, and feelings of Otherness; the prevalence of anti-blackness in Asian communities, especially our parents; and actually a story that explores the differences experienced in interracial relationships. A lot of this struck very close to home for me.
- There were a few things I didn't love: there was a lot of casual use of ableist slurs, some of the characters were a little underdeveloped, and the unbelievable romance between Frank and Brit. (Maybe it was intended as infatuation? Teen puppy love? I don't know.)
- Despite it flaws, I really did enjoy reading Frankly in Love and it was very... nostalgic to me as a diasporic Asian who also grew up with family friends, experienced the same things as Frank, and really related to him.

Trigger/content warning: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankly in Love.

August 24, 2019 – Started Reading