C.G. Drews's Reviews > Pride

Pride by Ibi Zoboi

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, read-2019, retelling

It occurs to me that I've read more Pride & Prejudice retellings but never...the...original. 😂But I really liked this version of it! So much love and cultural pride here; it also balanced that P&P theme of being overlooked and dismissed vs being judgemental and dismissive yourself to others. Pointing out flaws and being flawed. And Zuri was besssst. To be honest, I still don't understand why she gave Darius Darcy the time of day but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ apparently he was worth it. Honestly, it was a tight and fun retelling and definitely recommend!

(It was a short book though so I wanted more development between Zuri/Darius. They went from hate to love real fast. BUT. Every P&P retelling I've read does soooo. Possibly it is just the original too lolol.)

Also a moment to say how accurate the sister rep was!! This had 5 sisters (Zuri being the 2nd oldest) and omg I also am one of five sisters and it was just like yesss this is what it's like. Frustrating as heck but you'll also do anything for your sisters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride.

August 24, 2019 – Started Reading
August 24, 2019 – Shelved
August 24, 2019 –
page 100
32.89% "I have read so many retellings of Pride and Prejudice and never ...the actual...original 😂"
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: retelling
August 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

My Bookish Delights The hate to love is definitely not fast in the original. I think it happens somewhere around a year. You would think I would remember exactly since I've read it 3 times. :) You must read the original! My all-time favorite book!

message 2: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Talks Books I've been wanting to read this one but I think I might wait until I read the original first so that I can compare the two.