Josh Hitch's Reviews > The Collected Nightmares

The Collected Nightmares by Fred Wiehe

U 50x66

I was planning on taking awhile with this collection, figured a story here and there til I finished it while reading other things. Well that didn't work, read it in three sittings and only reason it wasn't less was because I just didn't have the time.

This is a fun clever collection of short stories, a couple of novellas, and several poems. The two novellas which are the bulk of the book are great reads. First, Under the Protection of Witches is a fun read about a small town which doesn't know how much they owe a family of witches, and the granddaughter witch who may not be up for the responsibility. Next novella is Resurrected about the monster hunter Aleric, this is a fun action packed story where our hero is able to dispatch several creatures but can be survive them all?

The short stories all are solid my favorites are Dead Girl which is about a man who witnesses the death of a young girl who he swears he knows somehow but had never seen before, her face haunts him. Also The Collection where a fat cat businessman faces the consequences.
Lastly I really liked the concept of The Alchemists about how two civilizations are mixed based on their creators' error. It pits a modern civilization vs. a more primitive one but whose beasts are not known in this new era. Glad to see it's a setup to a novel which I'm looking forward too.

Now for the poems, I'm not a poetry fan but I did enjoy all of these in the collection, well done short bits that enhances the collection.

All in all I highly recommend this collection, even if you are not a fan of shorts or poetry, the two novellas, which are 120 pages plus a piece and tell fun well formed stories, are worth the price alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Nightmares.

August 23, 2019 – Shelved