Richard Derus's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

3920693
Mar 15, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: pearl-ruled

Rating: fifteen one-thousandths of a single star (out of five; p44)

2018 UPDATE Anyone who thinks that this idea of growing a new kid for replacement parts is a good idea should read Altered Carbon or watch the glossy, gritty Netflix show.

Many are the yodels of praise for this horrifying book. The details of the main character's use as a farm animal for a more-favored older sibling are too grisly to recount without vomiting on my keyboard.

People die. Even when we don't want them to, and even when it hurts for them to, and even when we've given them life. It's happened to me. I know it hurts, but the ghastly vile disgusting nauseating practice of having a child *specifically* to save another child...!

Anyone who does that should be jailed.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

Quotes Richard Liked

Jodi Picoult
“Maybe who we are isn't so much about what we do, but rather what we're capable of when we least expect it.”
Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

Jodi Picoult
“When you have been with your partner for so many years, they become the glove compartment map that you've worn dog-eared and white-creased, the trail you recogonize so well you could draw it by heart and for this very reason keep it with you on journeys at all times. And yet, when you least expect it, one day you open your eyes and there is an unfamiliar turnoff, a vantage point taht wasn't there before, and you have to stop and wonder if maybe this landmark isn't new at all, but rather something you have missed all along.”
Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

Started Reading
January 1, 2005 – Finished Reading
March 15, 2012 – Shelved
March 15, 2012 – Shelved as: pearl-ruled

~Geektastic~ I agree. However, I liked the book, but it was mostly because I enjoyed being really, really angry about something that had nothing to do with my actual life. My moral outrage muscles got a good workout, and I could safely return to the real world afterward.

Richard Derus Amber ~Geektastic~ wrote: "I agree. However, I liked the book, but it was mostly because I enjoyed being really, really angry about something that had nothing to do with my actual life. My moral outrage muscles got a good wo..."

LOL Okay, that works for me as a reason to read something this awful!

Brittany B. Richard you are heartless. This is cold-blooded.

Richard Derus Brittany B. wrote: "Richard you are heartless. This is cold-blooded."

Call me "Little Richie Lizard" then. I loathed it. The practice is reprehensible, and the story horrifying.

Brittany B. Lol. Rich- a bit of a dramatic reaction to an old Jodi Picoult beach book...

This is a solid 4 stars from Jodi Picoult. This is Jodi Picoult's best novel. Stay away from her novels if you don't like this one. They don't get much better. Plus I don't think you're her target demographic.

If you hate the book, you should watch the movie-- it's deserving of your dramatic reaction... It is repulsive.

message 6: by Brittany B. (last edited Mar 15, 2012 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittany B. And the point of the book is to demonstrate that it is reprehensible to do such a thing. She was testing the boundaries of cloning, stem cells, etc. No one's condoning organ harvesting from DNA cloned children. Granted it's not fine literature, but it is a beloved beach book.

Richard Derus Brittany B. wrote: "And the point of the book is to demonstrate that it is reprehensible to do such a thing. She was testing the boundaries of cloning, stem cells, etc. No one's condoning organ harvesting from DNA clo..."

No, no, I was aware of her parti pris! She wasn't making the horrid into a bonus. Her story was simply about something that I feel should be actionable, told from a PoV I found repugnant for its exploitiveness.

Beach read or no, the lady puts her book out there and many, many people take it seriously, so I feel impelled to at least sample the work. Can't do anything good with my neurons unless I keep them in form, and that means exposing them to things I suspect I won't like. In case I do. In case I have some strong reaction. In case I feel the need to start a ninja campaign against something. You know the feeling.

Brittany B. Richard wrote: "Brittany B. wrote: "And the point of the book is to demonstrate that it is reprehensible to do such a thing. She was testing the boundaries of cloning, stem cells, etc. No one's condoning organ har..."

Well put! I definitely understand your perspective better.
By the way, ninja campaigns are a good thing . It mean you have passion. I respect that immensely. Passion makes life satisfying or at least interesting.

Spider the Doof Warrior This book looks like it will annoy me so I haven't read it.

Richard Derus If it *looks* that way from outside, just take a moment to be thrilled that you never cracked it. How much more horrible the experience would be having cracked the covers!

Wendy Darling Ugh, this book.

Richard Derus Wendy Darling wrote: "Ugh, this book."

Mmm hmmm. "The Organ Farmer's Lament." Blech.

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Wow! How awful. Thanks for the warning and the honest review, Richard.

Richard Derus Kristen wrote: "Wow! How awful. Thanks for the warning and the honest review, Richard."

Glad you saw the red flag, Kristen.

Yasmin I loved this book, but the mother made me want to rip the book up completely. She is such a bitch.

message 16: by A (new) - rated it 5 stars

A H @Yasmin, I loved the book too, its one of my favorites. But what makes you hate the mother so much??

message 17: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy M I don't know that I HATE the mother, but she definitely has her moments. Like when she won't take Jesse to the orthondontist and shoe store because Kate is relapsing again. Note, she wasn't actually sick. She was outside playing with Anna. When Anna donated bone marrow and woke up from surgery and brian told Sara that she was asking for her and she said she was busy because she was with Kate. When she admitted (to herself) that she had totally give up on Jesse.

message 18: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Bullock Absolutely agree with you Richard, I even wrote Piccoult herself and told her what I thought of her clone for spare parts story. Horrendous book, I will be steering clear of all of her work from now on.

message 19: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Murphy I haven't read this one yet. But I had to laugh at fifteen one-thousandths of a star. That bad, huh? Maybe I won't waste my time. :)

message 20: by Patsy (new) - added it

Patsy Norman I'm glad I read this review as I am reading the book now and finding it so boring
Now I won't have to waste my timesheet and it trying to finish it
I thought maybe I was the only one feeling this way because I usually really like her books.

Richard Derus Patsy wrote: "I'm glad I read this review as I am reading the book now and finding it so boring
Now I won't have to waste my timesheet and it trying to finish it
I thought maybe I was the only one feeling this..."

No indeed, you're not alone and you're not losing your kind. It's just not as good as her other ones.

William Thank you for the review! An obscenity, a crime, parents should be in prison and harvested for other prisoners.

Richard Derus William wrote: "Thank you for the review! An obscenity, a crime, parents should be in prison and harvested for other prisoners."

Read Altered Carbon for the destination this concept starts us towards.

message 24: by William (last edited Feb 05, 2018 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

William I very much enjoyed Altered Carbon, but not the sequels so much. Movie of Altered Carbon coming up soon.

Richard Derus William wrote: "I very much enjoyed Altered Carbon, but not the sequels so much. Movie of Altered Carbon coming up soon."

There's a Netflix TV show of it now.

William Oh! Netflix now!