Chazzle's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Mar 15, 2012

bookshelves: most-cherished-choices-of-2012
Read in March, 2012

Fascinating! I LOVED this book.

The book is wide-ranging in the dysfunctions it discusses, but it's always really interesting. Picking just a couple of topics, and I guess I should mention that these following comments contain a couple of "spoiler alerts": 1) A dysfunctional hospital, in which a neurosurgeon refused, at the pleading of his nurse practitioner, to double check which side of the head a subdural hematoma was located, ripping his nurse practitioner a new one in the process; later at that same hospital, after several publicized errors and fines, a little boy needing a tonsillectomy pleaded with the staff not to amputate his arm. 2) Statisticians at Target who can predict with 90% accuracy which of their customers are pregnant, even if they haven't registered at their baby registry. Target sends out customized coupon books to every regular customer, so that your neighbor gets a different set of coupons in the mail than you do, even though the coupon book looks generic. So, a teenager received a coupon book with an inordinate amount of coupons for nutritional supplements for expectant mothers, baby cribs, etc. Her father went in person to the local Target and chewed out the management for encouraging a lascivious lifestyle ("What kind of store tries to make us a society of unwed mothers.") A few months later, the father wrote a letter of apology to Target, saying, "I was unaware of certain activities of my daughter."

Anyway, habits are predictable and, thank God, malleable. The book is most definitely worth reading every word.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.

07/24 marked as: read