Kelly Hager's Reviews > Some Places More Than Others

Some Places More Than Others by Renée Watson

Renee Watson has a 100% success rate with me. I've loved everything I've read of hers (and I've read everything except her picture books) and I think this one is my favorite yet.

Amara is meeting most of her dad's family for the first time. She's met her aunt, but not her cousins or grandfather. (It turns out that her dad and grandpa haven't really spoken in years, and she doesn't know why.)

That's probably overwhelming enough but they live in New York City (specifically Harlem) and Amara's never been there before. (His dad is from New York but moved back to Oregon, where Amara's mom is from.) Combine the two, and this vacation is A LOT for Amara.

I love this book so much. It's all about history but it's both the history of Amara's family and of Black people in general. It's fascinating and it doesn't read like a lecture. (It makes me want to visit all the places mentioned in here the next time I go to New York and I definitely want to try those beef patties. They sound like perfection.)

If you haven't read Renee Watson, this is a great place to start---but there's no bad place to start, either. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Places More Than Others.

August 23, 2019 – Started Reading