Melissa McShane's Reviews > Flora's Dare

Flora's Dare by Ysabeau S. Wilce

bookshelves: own, fantasy, young-adult, favorites, alternate-world
Read 2 times. Last read August 29, 2019.

8/29/19: I went straight into this one from re-reading Flora Segunda and loved it just as much as I remembered--better, because it's been long enough that I'd forgotten some of the details. The characterization is crazy good and I even liked Udo, who as I recall made me seriously annoyed the first time. And the ending is deeply moving. All the endings; there are at least three. This book has so much to say about the families we're born to and the families we make, and (view spoiler). Really quite marvelous.

5/8/12: Flora's Dare is even better than Flora Segunda, and that one was pretty amazing. Flora's Dare feels a little more finished to me, probably because Flora's various quests all grow out of one desire, which is to become a Ranger. All the complicating factors come from other people, like her sister Idden and her friend Udo, or from external problems like the Loliga, a spirit creature trapped in the body of a giant squid, who's trying to escape captivity by destroying Califa. There's time-travel and ghouls and possessed footwear and secret identities and a magical plushy pig. Flora remains an unconventional heroine, this time because she doesn't recognize just how heroic her actions are. All she sees is her failure to accomplish what she set out to do, and that makes her sympathetic. I like her developing relationship with Udo--or, more accurately, Udo's development into a responsible human being instead of a self-absorbed prat with all the sensitivity of a rock. It's also nice to see her father come out of his depression and become more reliable. I'm looking forward to the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flora's Dare.

March 15, 2012 – Shelved