Melissa McShane's Reviews > Cousin Kate

Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer

Mar 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, suspense, gothic, protag-female
Read in May, 2016

I have the weirdest relationship with this book. The first time I read it, I *hated* it. To the extent of giving it away. I thought Kate was a doormat and Torquil was awful. This time, I have no idea what I was thinking, because Kate is bright and sensible and clever and altogether interesting. (Torquil is still awful, but in a Gothic way.) I still don't love it, but I'm amending my rating to match my new opinion.

Cousin Kate represents a departure from Heyer's usual historical romances and historical, um, historicals. It's got all the trappings of a Gothic novel, complete with heroine trapped in an old manor and a charming madman. But it's not quite there. The old manor isn't on some wind-blasted heath and it's not haunted; it's actually quite lovely, thanks to the efforts of Lady Broome, Kate's aunt. (view spoiler) And Philip, the love interest, isn't dark and brooding, but sort of ordinary while still being a romantic hero. All this will either work for you, or it won't, and I think enjoyment of the book may hinge on what exactly you're looking for in it.

A note on mental illness: (view spoiler)

I'm never going to love this book, because the ending is so weak: (view spoiler) But it's far more enjoyable than I remembered, and I'll have to reconsider my policy of not owning it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cousin Kate.

Katie Oh no, you're going to make me re-read this. :)

Melissa McShane Katie wrote: "Oh no, you're going to make me re-read this. :)

I can't remember why I hated it--I might've just thought it was boring--but I did."

I could see thinking it was boring. Except that Torquil keeps everything really tense. I kept waiting for him to snap--and then he did, but we don't get to see it.