Kirsti's Reviews > Have Yourself a Beary Little Murder

Have Yourself a Beary Little Murder by Meg Macy

liked it

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

This is a series that I've heard about, but never had the opportunity to read until now. Coming into this with the third book was a little off putting though because the cast of characters is very large and well established. Most of the time I can fall into the small town rhythm, but this time I found myself lost far too easily.

It didn't help that the events where Sasha could get intel all mashed together as well, and two other characters that had nothing to do with the murder died and thus gave Sasha an excuse to be around some of the suspects. I really felt like this could have been massively condensed, because it just gave a plodding feel to the plot and didn't move things along either. Adding to that, we don't get confirmation a murder has even occurred at all, so we're left with Sasha investigating and trying to draw suspicion from one of her mother's friends while not really having a motivation to do so.

All in all, I liked the setting and the theme for this one, and some of the better fleshed out characters. If I'm going to continue with this series I have to go back and read the first few books though, and maybe the next one won't be set at Christmas and thus won't feel so mushed together (who doesn't have a mushed Christmas these days) I'd also like to see the romance more, especially as Sasha thinks about children often and Jay seems to be back for the next book. I love the covers for this series, they were what first attracted me in!

This was hit and miss, but the murder weapon definitely gave it a boost at the end. Three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have Yourself a Beary Little Murder.

August 22, 2019 – Started Reading