Kaora's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

bookshelves: good-fantasy-series, favorites
Read 2 times. Last read April 15, 2013 to December 1, 2014.

This was a tough book to get into.

There is no spoon-feeding here. You are thrown into the world that Erikson created with no back story or explanation. Although there is a glossary of important terms and people. I suggest putting it to good use, like I did.

Nothing is clear from the start, but once you start getting invested and reading between the lines, you start to notice how truly amazing this book is. There are a lot of characters, and despite finishing this mammoth book I feel like I have barely begun to scratch the surface of who they are.

However there is a lot of action, and it is done well. After struggling with the start of the book I suddenly found I could not put it down.

Stick with it. It will be worth it. I truly enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.

Finished Reading
March 15, 2012 – Shelved
April 15, 2013 – Started Reading
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: good-fantasy-series
December 24, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
August 29, 2014 –
8.0% "Even though this is my second read through I feel like I need to have the characters sheet/map as a reference as I read."
September 3, 2014 –
14.0% "Still standing these towering pillars \n mar the gelid scape\n of my mind\n \n I need a reading buddy."
November 15, 2014 –
November 17, 2014 –
November 27, 2014 –
50.0% "It's starting to get good."
November 29, 2014 –
63.0% "The shattering is begun."
December 1, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Ionson I tried this book Twice (something I never do). I have heard from many sources how great it was. But both times I could not get beyond page 150. I had only a vague notion of who the characters were, and had no empathy for any of them (not in the least).
Where does this shift occur? And what was it like for you?

Kaora I can't even say where it was. Probably when the big battle scene hit close to the end. One minute its like ugh I have no idea what any of this is and the next minute I can't tear my eyes from the page.

Jokoloyo For me, the shift was on Chapter 13, when Kalam and Ben follow Rallick. I remember I was dozing sleepily when I started read that chapter. Then I couldn't sleep with the amazing (view spoiler) scene.

Dara I struggled with this book a lot but I stuck with it. Deadhouse Gates is much better. It's more straightforward plus it has the Chain of Dogs.

Aaron Harvey I'm on chapter 4 and I'm about to give up. So lost right now

Kaora Yeah. Its a book you definitely have to struggle with. It will be come clearer.

message 7: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Ionson So strange that readers should be asked to endure that for a later payoff. It breaks the cardinal rules of novel-writing to make them slosh through murky waters.

Aaron Harvey Thanks for the advice. I'm listening to the audio book because I commute 7 hours a day. The narrator is terrible, I can't tell his female voice from his male voice. Lol

Kaora A terrible narrator can ruin a good book! I think the narrator changes for later books because I guess his pronunciation was off.

Ashley i'm so glad you liked it!

message 11: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Koivu I'm really enjoying your reviews, Kaora! They say a good deal without saying too much.

Kaora I appreciate that Jason!

Bhargav Gnv I would say, once the Dharujhistan chapter started, I really thought it went from being ok-ok to wow!