Diane S ☔'s Reviews > The Braid

The Braid by Laetitia Colombani

liked it

Just finished under the wire for my women in translation book. Three women, three very different countries and life circumstances.

Smita, in India is of the lowest caste, the untouchables, women who make their living by cleaning, with their hands, the excrement of others. Guilia, in Italy, the oldest daughter of a man who takes the hair of others and fashions them into hairpieces and wigs. Sara, the only female partner in her law firm, has already divorced twice, and us the parent of three children. All three will face unseen developments in their lives, and must find a way to rise above these circumstances.

I love reading books about strong women and that certainly applied here. Courage, strength of will and finding a different way though others try to keep them down. A single item unites them, but so does the way they ultimately face that which could cost them everything.

The ending though, I thought was a bit over done, a little too gushing. Still this is a worthy read and one I'm happy to have read.

ARC from Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Braid.

August 22, 2019 – Started Reading
August 22, 2019 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
August 22, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Paperback Edition)
August 22, 2019 – Shelved
August 23, 2019 –
page 40
August 26, 2019 –
page 90
August 30, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Diane . Glad it was worth reading even if the end was over done .

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine This looks good, Diane. Excellent review!

Diane S ☔ Thank you Angela and Christine.

Esil Great review, Diane. I’ll give this one a try, but I’m warned about the end.

Diane S ☔ Thanks Esil. Curious what you'll think about the end.

Diane S ☔ Thank you Nicola.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Diane. It’s good to know about the ending. I added this one.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen Nice review - and a great cover!