Emma's Reviews > Old Bones

Old Bones by Douglas Preston

28602001

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

It's pure serendipity that I picked this up right after reading White Fire, since both follow Pendergast's young protege Corrie Swanson. Now, she's a fully fledged FBI agent, if still in her first two probationary years, and her hesitant attempts to run her first investigation are at times helped or hindered by her take no shit attitude. She's changed enough that she's become a much more appealing character to follow, but her anger still gets her in trouble. Especially when up against another of Pendergast's former associates: archeologist Nora Kelly. Both women have very particular ideas about what's important, causing them to clash repeatedly throughout the book. It was an amusing contrast, neither of them knowing their shared Pendergast connection, and it seems like their winning combination might form the basis of a separate series.

These two characters and their barbed interactions were the highlight of the novel, with the plot somewhat drawn out and rushed at the end. Still, it was atmospheric and fun, as all these thrillers are. Best of all, the authors have used yet another fascinating slice of history as the foundation for their narrative- the story of the Donner Party pioneers who resorted to cannibalism to survive, which has left me desperate to know more and will no doubt take me on my own journey of internet research.

It was hard not to miss Pendergast, but there was enough in this to ensure I pick up the next in the series.

ARC via Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Bones.

August 22, 2019 – Started Reading