Renee's Reviews > Exile in Darkness

Exile in Darkness by Annalisa Carr

Isabella is a null witch of the highest bloodline, who's faced with the appalling untimatum of "get pregnant by this mad sorcerer to preserve the bloodlines or be banished forever" by her own grandmother (whom I picture as bearing a striking resemblence to Cruella DeVille), the head of the West London House or coven. Wonderful family--her parents dare not oppose the old battleax in her defense.

When she escapes her Society life for a quiet drink, she wanders too far across the metaphorical tracks and ends up in a vampire-ruled dive where a Master vampire rescues her from the attack of five fledglings. Maldit isn't like the other vampires, though, and is surprisingly heroic and a gentleman, despite his aversion to witches. He rescues her, takes her back to her safe zone, and warns her of the dangers if she ever strays again. She's both wary and drawn to him. He's an enigma who piques her curiosity.

The "mad sorcerer" Lukas is the victim of too much power manifesting too early, when he was too young to control it. Rather than helping him, the witch council "controls" it/him with drugs and imprisonment. They're not nice people, those West London Society witches.

This is a dark, tumultuous, addictive and uncomfortable read, but once I started I couldn't stop. It doesn't shy away from the dark places, and the ending was rather more open-ended than I was expecting. But if you like a unique take on dark paranormal, this is a good one to keep you up at night!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exile in Darkness.

August 22, 2019 – Started Reading