Scratch's Reviews > Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined

Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 by Saladin Ahmed

it was ok

Possibly the least impressive installment to Ms. Marvel yet.

We have wacky hijinks as Kamala and her parents are all transported to an alien planet. The most noteworthy detail is that this alien planet seemed to decorate in a style that was vaguely similar to some elaborate Middle-Eastern styles. I'm not great with Middle-Eastern cultures (as an ignorant American), but some decorations in the alien palace reminded me of Persian royalty. This made me contemplate how many times I have seen pseudo-European decorations in science-fiction, begging the question of whether I have been conditioned to expect a European influence on alien planets.

Otherwise, we didn't get into too much detail about any other characters other than Kamala's parents. No real romance happened, no real character development. The question of Kamala and Bruno's, "Will they, won't they?" not only is not resolved here-- they didn't even let the characters address the question. The writer went with the tired cliche of having the characters interrupted whenever they started to address the possibility of having feelings for each other.

Because G. Willow Wilson is no longer handling the writing, I assume that's why all the characters felt like pale imitations of themselves. The few regular cast members who even appeared failed to say or do anything memorable. Bruno demonstrated no real humor or personality. Zoe made no appearance whatsoever in this installment. Kamala's brother is only mentioned, outside of maybe making a cameo in a memory.

Kamala got a new costume that is vaguely reminiscent of how Spider-man got the Venom symbiote. Except Kamala's costume has allegedly been verified to be Kree nanotech and not a symbiote.

It's all just... Meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1.

August 22, 2019 – Started Reading