Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)'s Reviews > Sky

Sky by Ondine Sherman

liked it

I devoured this book. It is incredibly easy to read and the pages turn faster than you realise.
Sherman has such a great writing style, it will draw you into Sky's world and make you want to know more.

That being said, I struggled to connect with Sky, I realise she is 15 and I am definitely not, but she felt younger than that, which made her friendship drama, her reactions and her actions hard to fully get behing and relate to. I also struggled with Sky, being such a passionate vegan and animal activist, then choosing to eat chicken for popularity. Popularity that you could tell, wouldn't stick with her.

I fully appreciate the heaviness of elements of this book. The loss of a parent, animal activism, family. They are some subjects that get touched on in a soft way, a way that younger readers can understand and process.

The power of speaking up for what you believe in , is a strong message in this book. When Sky finds her voice, her life starts to change and that is a great takeaway for younger readers.

A good, fast read. Perfect for younger readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sky.

August 21, 2019 – Started Reading
August 21, 2019 – Shelved
August 21, 2019 –
page 120
47.62% "Finding this book very light and easy to read. I'm hoping that there is a strong message towards the end.
The protagonist is grating on me a little bit, she is going against everything she believes in, eating meat when she is a vegan, just to impress some girls, who I bet she isn't friends with at the end of the book..."
August 21, 2019 – Finished Reading