Gavin's Reviews > The Curse of Chalion

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

8192509

bookshelves: fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read June 7, 2017 to June 26, 2017.

I've read Curse of Chalion twice over the years and loved it both times. It is a fantasy story with an original feel and with a truly unique main character. The story was not high on action but had plenty of intrigue and a dose of interesting magic and world building that resulted in it always being a compelling read.

The story followed Lord Lupe dy Cazaril. At his peak he was a courtier, castle-warder, and captain; but now he has just escaped for the oar benches of a slave galley and is a shadow of his former self. Cazaril turned to an old friend and landed a job as a secretary to her daughter. It seemed an easy position at first but soon Cazaril found himself caught up in the complicated politics of Chalion.

The story was very engaging and the best thing it had going for it was Cazaril himself. Caz was a super easy character to like and root for and was a different sort of fantasy hero.

All in all I loved this one!

Rating: 5 stars.

Audio Note: Lloyd James did a good job with the audio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse of Chalion.

Quotes Gavin Liked

Lois McMaster Bujold
“Well, what is a blessing but a curse from another point of view?”
Lois McMaster Bujold, The Curse of Chalion

Lois McMaster Bujold
“Ignorance is not stupidity, but it might as well be. And I do not like feeling stupid.”
Lois McMaster Bujold, The Curse of Chalion

March 15, 2012 – Shelved
March 18, 2012 – Started Reading
March 18, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 24, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 7, 2017 – Started Reading
June 9, 2017 –
25.0% "Enjoying this one so far. It has a sedate pace but is still engaging and intriguing. Cazaril is an easy character to root for and definitely not your typical fantasy hero."
June 13, 2017 –
June 21, 2017 –
70.0% "I loved the dy Lutez story. It was so unexpected and revealed more about the curse."
June 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Mayim de Vries lovely review Gavin, somehow I missed it earlier; did you like the rest of the series too?

Gavin Mayim wrote: "lovely review Gavin, somehow I missed it earlier; did you like the rest of the series too?"

Thanks, Mayim:) I do love Curse of Chalion the most out of the whole series but the other books are pretty good as well. Even the Pen & Des novellas a well worth reading!

Mayim de Vries I'm looking forward to reading more of Bujold!