Maureen's Reviews > Live Big, Love Bigger: Getting Real with BBQ, Sweet Tea, and a Whole Lotta Jesus

Live Big, Love Bigger by Kathryn Whitaker

U 50x66

My copy of Live Big, Love Bigger by Kathryn Whitaker arrived just as our family prepared to hunker down for the arrival of Hurricane Dorian off Florida’s East Coast.
As the winds picked up and the rains moved in outside our home, I read about Kathryn’s journey, as she and her family have weathered the “storms” of life with “BBQ, Sweet Tea, and A Whole Lotta Jesus.”
With a combination of vulnerability, honesty, warmth and humor, Kathryn shares stories about her marriage and family-of-six struggles (including the premature birth and resulting medical needs of her fifth child), desire for control, negative self-image, her conversion to Catholicism, and her love of the Word of God.
She shows how, in the struggles,she learned to be intentional, and to fully embrace Jesus “smack dab in the crazy of family life.” She found that whether she was in the NICU or a cathedral, her own closet, or on a Texas barbecue pilgrimage--Jesus met her at every step. Even when she had questions, and doubts, and fears, and tears. She came to understand that “where there is suffering, there is also grace.” And love.
This book has many valuable take-aways for the reader. Even for this fifty-something empty-nester and “MeMe”. Jesus meets me where I am, even in my own storms. The “everyday holy is real”, if I take time to notice and live with more intention. And when I set aside fear and worry and control, I can learn to love bigger each day. To which I like to think Kathryn would say Amen! (or more likely, Hell, yes!)
Highly recommend...hunker down and enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live Big, Love Bigger.

August 21, 2019 – Shelved