Laura J. W.'s Reviews > Happy Talk

Happy Talk by Richard Melo

Mar 14, 2012

bookshelves: i-ll-read-it-again, red-lemonade-titles

Light-hearted is what immediately comes to mind when I think of my time spent reading Happy Talk and yes, there is a good deal of happy talk — an ongoing playful banter between multiple characters, gossip, discussion, innuendo, and a tall-tale or two and more — it was like reading one of those odd little dreams with complexities I wouldn’t think of during my waking hours. It is gently surrealistic — a meandering stream carving its way through a fantastical place, colorful language and bright colors — the white of the Nightingales uniforms and their linens on the wash line, purple nights and the yellow days — the heat of the tropical sun, the ocean, the reef, and the mountains — layers of plotlines, ethereal threads of romances and rumors; voudoun, zombies, madness, deceptions, morphine addiction, plane crashes, past lives, love, plans for foiling Communist plots, paranoia, and atomic bombs. I truly loved visiting with this book with its multiple beginnings and multiple endings — I first met it and got to know about the author, Richard Melo, through the Red Lemonade online community — having a copy of the paperback is especially lovely as I noted the magic of the story early on and looked forward to adding it to my ever growing library. It is always a treat to discover something new in the mines of contemporary literature, Red Lemonade published another gem. (YAY!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Talk.

March 14, 2012 – Shelved