Michelle's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Mar 14, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult-book-club

I liked this okay, but it didn't change my world or make me cry. Call me callous.

Maybe this book was hyped up way too much for me? Maybe it's because this is my first John Green and all I've heard forever is "OMG, you're going to love John Green, we all love John Greeeeeeeeen!" But I don't think it's just that. It's that at the beginning, the teenagers in the book did seem very teenager-y. Green is fabulous writing from the point-of-view of a girl. These are smart, funny teenagers. But too quickly, they were too much, too perfect, too...reciting poetry from memory on airplanes to Amsterdam. And everybody's parents are amazing too. But also, um, is this normal? To go to Amsterdam with a hot teenage boy you've only known for a few weeks. And have the girl's mother be the only chaperone. Keeping in mind the mother doesn't know this boy very well either, but she's his chaperone, and given that she thinks he's more ill than he lets on, that's a pretty big job. Yes, I understand, these kids have cancer. You gotta speed things up some. But it still felt too fast for me. And even the fact that Augustus (that's the teenage boy that apparently I haven't bothered to give a name to until now) uses his one wish to go to Amsterdam and included Hazel (I mean, let's face it, this is mainly for Hazel) bothered me. Dude, make your wish about you. It's okay to have some selfish time, okay? And I understand you liked Hazel's favorite book too, and maybe part of you did want to meet the book's author (who lives in Amsterdam), but this is so flimsy.

And this whole book about cancer within a book about cancer (but it's not just your "typical" cancer book). And this author. I just felt like...John Green, this is so thinly veiled. You want your book to be not the typical cancer book. You want to be the author that is changing people's worlds. And maybe you are! And maybe this book is! In which case, good for you, and I'm glad for them. But, meh, it just annoyed me.