Jena Henry's Reviews > I've Seen the End of You: A Neurosurgeon's Look at Faith, Doubt, and the Things We Think We Know

I've Seen the End of You by W. Lee Warren

Read 2 times

If you want pat answers, smug affirmations, and “oh, it’s just God’s plan, don’t read this book. But, if you want to be challenged to dig deeper and think about your life, purpose, and faith then this book by W. Lee Warren, M.D. is the BEST. Plus, it’s an all-around great read with plenty of medical mysteries, ER nightmares, and the patients and families who see their lives upended.

The book is subtitled “A Neurosurgeon’s Look at Faith, Doubt, and the Things We Think We Know”. And that sums it up for all of, doesn’t it? Why do bad things happen to us- we’re good! Why pray if your disease is close to 100% terminal? Why would God let a child suffer and die?

Part of the book focuses on Dr. Warren’s neurosurgical practice, and in particular his patients with brain cancer. That’s where the title of his book comes in. We meet a variety of patients- among them, several young Christian men with families, a young man who most would consider a failure, a young woman who must make an impossible decision, and an older woman who has known much pain and suffering. The medical part of the book is clear, exciting and compelling.

According to his Amazon bio, the author loves to make connections between faith, science, and the realities of life. Dr. Warren likes to dig deep and he had to reconsider everything after a personal tragedy in his own family. This book will encourage you to examine your own purpose and plan. What resonated with me were his discussions about God’s promises- either all His promises are true, or none of them are. I also liked his thinking about life being a Hobson’s choice- either you accept life with all its beauty and pain, or you don’t accept life at all. I’m sure as you read this book, you will be doing a lot of thinking yourself! And you will want to discuss it with others!

I’ve been recommending this book to all my friends. Thanks to NetGalley WaterBrook & Multnomah and Random House Convergent for a digital advanced review copy. This is my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Seen the End of You.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
Finished Reading
August 20, 2019 – Shelved
January 7, 2020 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)