Calista's Reviews > Thank You, Omu!

Thank You, Omu! by Oge Mora

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, award-caldecott, award-various, bage-children, diversity, genre-drama-tragedy, genre-fantasy, sub-food, want-to-own, women
Read 2 times. Last read August 21, 2019.

Omu is cooking a delicious thick red stew - YUM! It’s so aromatic that people in her building come to her door asking what she is cooking. Then people off the street come by. Being generous, Omu gives each of them a bowl of stew. They love it. The problem arises when she goes to eat her dinner, nothing is left. It’s the best red stew she has made and she is sad she did not eat it. All those people bring dinner to her and they have a large community meal together and it’s the best meal Omu has eaten.

The artwork is a collage. It’s nice artwork, but it didn’t blow me away and it didn’t really impress me. I do like this book, but I don’t know that it is really Caldecott worthy. I have read a lot better for the year 2018, but I’m not on the committee. I want to know why awards don’t do humor. It’s rare to ever get a humorous book on a list. I don’t get why that is?

Like I have said before, I have been looking for community and this book does appeal to that desire. Omu does wind up bringing community to her and I love that idea.

The nephew didn’t think red stew sounded all that great and this was a bit too pedestrian for him. He said it was boring. He gave this 2 stars. He was trying to be funny when he said, “It looks pretty gross to me.” The niece thought this was a nice book about community. She didn’t like the artwork, but thought the story was solid so she gave this 3 stars.

We have 3 books left to read for Caldecotts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thank You, Omu!.

Finished Reading