jv poore's Reviews > The Warning

The Warning by James Patterson

it was ok
bookshelves: action_adventure, jv_library

Friends, I am feeling a bit frustrated.

James Patterson is my go-to author for the times that I've read, but not reviewed, way too many ARCs. It's not like I can just "not read".

So, Mr. Patterson.

Because I'm usually guaranteed to get a suck-you-in-story that is easy to walk away from. And, because it comes from the author who, rightfully, blurbs his own books, I do expect perfection.

I purchased my copy of The Warning, first-time-in-print, retail--as a finished, polished product. I am not reading an ARC.

Initially, I am all kinds of excited. This seems like something 'my' students would totally dig. The younger characters carrying the heavy load in an action-inundated, frenzied race to save humanity--all while being held captive by an apparently malicious AI is, obviously, appealing.

Then, a small error. Jordan spots his "...dad's SUV down there..." (p. 197) His dad drives a pickup. I know this, because I've read it many, many times up to this point, as well as after.

Yes. There are real problems in the world and this is not one of them. I am still annoyed.

But then, a continuity error that made me want to slap someone upside the head. On one page, "My brain also got around to noticing that my hands were cuffed behind my back." (p. 254) Later, but in the same scene "I put my hands to my head and felt around." (p. 255).

This one may be just me. Perhaps I am the odd human wholly incapable of raising my hands, which are cuffed behind my back, to my head to feel around. If so, my apologies, my mistake.

If, however, this is the second error...it really is aggravating. To me, in these Not-So-United States, general expectations are being lowered considerably, with many people being complacent.

I do think that this story-line is a good one. I also expect published books by James Patterson to be perfect. I understand that the author is not the only human involved in the publication process and I am equally annoyed with each set of eyes, be they actual or artificial, that let these slide.

This book will not be going to my favorite classroom library, but for all normal people that are not perturbed by the tiniest things, it's pretty entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warning.

August 18, 2019 – Started Reading
August 20, 2019 – Shelved
August 20, 2019 – Shelved as: action_adventure
August 20, 2019 – Shelved as: jv_library
August 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Federico (last edited Aug 20, 2019 11:08AM) (new)

Federico DN Sad to hear perfection was not achieved this time. I'm not the type that is not perturbed by those tiny details, I'm the type that just don't notice them xD. If somehow I would miraculously notice one then my reaction would be... unknown, for that would be the first time.

message 2: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee I’m with you JV. Things like that would deeply irritate me. Pity it spoilt a good storyline for you

message 3: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Federico wrote: "Sad to hear perfection was not achieved this time. I'm not the type that is not perturbed by those tiny details, I'm the type that just don't notice them xD. If somehow I would miraculously notice ..."
I appreciate your comment, Federico!

message 4: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Ceecee wrote: "I’m with you JV. Things like that would deeply irritate me. Pity it spoilt a good storyline for you"
Ceecee, you have no idea how happy I am to know I'm not alone with the irritation.

I apologize for not being more clear, but it didn't ruin the story for me--I'm just not willing to share this with 'my' students. When we talk about the importance of good writing and editing, I do not wish to give them an exception to point to.

message 5: by Federico (new)

Federico DN Oh, I'm intrigued. For no reason at all, I really want to know if you truly don't notice errors, or if you notice them but don't let them interrupt the reading, or if you just always read books that are error-free. I appreciate your comment, Federico!

After reading a couple of hundred books already, I fairly assume that I've come across an error or two at least, if not dozens. The fact that I don't remember any is to me a clear indication that I don't notice them at all. Also it helps that my memory sucks big time. Taking your example for instance. If that would have happened to me, my initial reaction would probably be sensing something is not right, but since my memory is so fallible I would assume that SVU is right, and what I thought was a pick up was wrong, I just remembered badly. I would probably not even bother to go back to check it, I would assume that I was the one that was wrong in the first place, because that is how good my memory serves me, well, most of the times :p.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Fair review, jv

message 7: by Federico (last edited Aug 21, 2019 04:46AM) (new)

Federico DN Another point to illustrate my beautiful case, I consider myself more of a cinephile than a bibliophile. According to my imdb activity, I'm nearing the 2500s movies watched. And after thousands of movies I think I only discovered a continuity error once, just once. And I remember that because I was so happy, it was my first! Today, I cannot remember what error or what movie it was, or that I would discover it even if I watched the same movie again.

message 8: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Diane wrote: "Fair review, jv"
Thank you, Diane.

message 9: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Federico wrote: "Another point to illustrate my beautiful case, I consider myself more of a cinephile than a bibliophile. According to my imdb activity, I'm nearing the 2500s movies watched. And after thousands of ..."
I think you just have the ability to ignore the inconsequential and get to the point, whereas I am way too picky and often pedantic.

message 10: by Federico (new)

Federico DN Well that may be the gloomy version of it, but I could as well easily say that I lack the ability to pay close attention to details, and you are a perfectionist and pursuer of consistent writing :)

message 11: by JV (semi-hiatus) (new)

JV (semi-hiatus) Sorry to hear that this didn't quite fit the bill, dear jv! Hope your next one is better! 🥰

message 12: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore JV (semi-hiatus) wrote: "Sorry to hear that this didn't quite fit the bill, dear jv! Hope your next one is better! 🥰"
Thank you, luv. I guess when you're cranking 'em out like Mr. Patterson, they can't all be brilliant.

message 13: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Federico wrote: "Well that may be the gloomy version of it, but I could as well easily say that I lack the ability to pay close attention to details, and you are a perfectionist and pursuer of consistent writing :)"
Ahh...Federico, I think that, essentially, I am gloomy where you are not and you're a sweet taker :)

message 14: by Federico (last edited Aug 24, 2019 05:16AM) (new)

Federico DN lol well regardless the way we see it I still think consistent writing is a wonderful ideal. Sadly, nothing is ever perfect, not even James Patterson ;)

message 15: by Tai (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tai Stith I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the SUV thing! :D What perturbed me more, though, was the rushed ending that really didn't satisfy the crazy plot line. Oh well, maybe a sequel is in the works??

message 16: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Tai wrote: "I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the SUV thing! :D What perturbed me more, though, was the rushed ending that really didn't satisfy the crazy plot line. Oh well, maybe a sequel is in the w..."
Thank you so much for your comment, Tai! And your excellent point about the rushed ending--very accurate.

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter Excellent review, JV and well pointed out the number of issues you had. :):)

message 18: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Terrific review jv ! Hope your next read is a winner! 😊😊

message 19: by Urenna (new)

Urenna Sander If you complain to the publisher, they are known to say: "This (errors) happens to well known writers too."

message 20: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Peter wrote: "Excellent review, JV and well pointed out the number of issues you had. :):)"
Thank you, Peter!

message 21: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Nicola wrote: "Terrific review jv ! Hope your next read is a winner! 😊😊"

Thank you, Nicola! I am loving PRIMARY TARGET by John Billheimer right now.

message 22: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Urenna wrote: "If you complain to the publisher, they are known to say: "This (errors) happens to well known writers too.""
Thank you for this, Urenna--I certainly would not expect anyone to brush off errors that have been identified.

message 23: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore I really appreciate the thoughtful comments, friends! And, if you'd be so kind, I have one question.

Fully accepting that mistakes happen everywhere, when I do purchase (retail) a recently published book, I do expect the final product to be without errors. Is this a unique expectation?

message 24: by Julia (last edited Aug 30, 2019 06:36AM) (new)

Julia Ash Great review, jv!

I'm guessing that what is happening with Patterson books is that he is entering into agreements with unknown authors to put them "on the map" by having Patterson named as a co-author. (The unknown co-author has to pay for this marketing agreement, of course.)

Frustration also happened to me when I bought and read ZOO, which was also co-authored. The beginning, probably the part Patterson touched, was so exciting. And then....well, the disappointment set in. In this case, it wasn't mistakes that disappointed, but a weak and silly plot.

I hope Patterson eventually realizes that.... not only does this practice NOT benefit the "other" author, it also doesn't serve him well either! Because our expectations are crushed!

message 25: by jv (new) - rated it 2 stars

jv poore Julia wrote: "Great review, jv!

Thank you, Julia, for such a thoughtful comment!