Julie's Reviews > Beauregard and the Beast

Beauregard and the Beast by Evie Drae

F 50x66

bookshelves: ebooks, queer, romance

This debut MM romance is light and breezy, an enjoyable fast read with minimal drama for the sake of drama. We have Adam, who wants to win his MMA title bout, and Beauregard, aka Bo, who wants to earn enough money to support his sister. The thing that brings both these people together is Bo’s job as a personal assistant to Adam, and despite the employer/employee relationship, the attraction is mutual from the start.

Evie did a great job in writing a clear story (I can only imagine how many times this was edited), that doesn’t make the writing itself important. It lets the story shine. Most of the focus is on Adam and Bo so that there is a limited cast of characters. Unlike a lot of modern romances, it doesn’t do the alternating first person sections in each character’s voice. As I find that feature of modern romances really annoying, I was happy NOT to have it here.

The story does have two small things that usually do annoy me in modern (MM) romances—the celebratory sex scene at the end where the usual top bottoms and vice versa, and the level up epilogue. (In straight romances, that could be an engagement, a wedding, or a baby.) They didn’t bother me as much here (okay, maybe I’m a curmudgeon of a reader), and you’ll have to read to figure just what Adam and Bo’s version of level up is.

Bottom line: I enjoyed reading this, and I’m very proud of Evie, whom I consider a personal friend. (But I bought my own copy. It wasn’t an ARC.) I expect more lovely pieces from her in the future.

This would work for you if you like sweet MM romances or sports romances, though we don’t get bogged down with a lot of technical detail on UFC training.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauregard and the Beast.

August 20, 2019 – Started Reading
August 20, 2019 – Shelved
August 21, 2019 – Finished Reading
August 22, 2019 – Shelved as: ebooks
August 22, 2019 – Shelved as: queer
August 22, 2019 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Evie (new) - added it

Evie Drae Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review!! I truly appreciate it. I know how precious reading time is!! <3

Julie Evie wrote: "Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review!! I truly appreciate it. I know how precious reading time is!! <3"

Love you long time, Evie. :) Btw, sorry if 4 doesn't look great. I rate differently between GoodReads and Amazon. Same review from me, but it has a 5 over at AMZ.

message 3: by Evie (new) - added it

Evie Drae Oh, don't ever, EVER apologize for your rating. I appreciate honesty and totally understand everyone rates in their own way. That's the beauty of the system! I'm THRILLED with a 4 star and feel honored to receive one from you! (But also... I of course thank you for the 5 star on Amazon too!!!!)