Alison O'Keefe's Reviews > My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

did not like it

Despite how sad I am at having to write this, I did not finish this book. I love, love, love the author so much - and I tried so hard to enjoy the story and keep going. Unfortunately, there were just too many things I didn't like, and couldn't move beyond.
The stuff I did like - our young protagonist, she was written really well. Her understanding of things, and the thought processes were amazing. Her mother, and even step-father, were written well too.
I liked the sense of the housing, where she lived, and where her grandmother lived. It was described so that I knew exactly how everything fit together.
I didn't like the Britt-Marie of this story, she was grating and annoying, which made me question my like of her own novel (which I did like, but not if she was as annoying as in this story). I didn't like the constant referral to Miamas, and all the characters in it - a little bit was alright, but after awhile, it was too much and I was too confused.
I also didn't connect with Granny, who was great in her outrageous qualities, but then too extreme.
I liked a lot about the writing, and I loved the neighbour, but I wasn't able to get beyond the fantasy-land and real life merging together in a confusing fairy-tale language.
This wasn't for me, but I would absolutely recommend any of the other books written by Fredrik Backman!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry.

August 19, 2019 – Started Reading