Julie's Reviews > The Dark Fantastic: Race and the Imagination from Harry Potter to the Hunger Games

The Dark Fantastic by Ebony Elizabeth Thomas

I hope what I gleaned from this book will make me a more empathetic consumer and creator. I'd like to think I learned to question narratives from a different perspective. If the fantastic often stands in for POC and the conflicts that arise between identity groups, then I need to know what's being said and why. When a Black character suffers, who does it serve? What narrative does it reinforce or challenge?

This book was sometimes a little above my reading level, but overall it was accessible and interesting. I hope Ms. Thomas writes more books because I very much wanted this to be longer. I could have listened to her discuss Black characters in stories and what was done well and could have been done better for much longer, including connections and symbols and inspirations. I'd also have liked more depth and examples of Restorying.

I'm grateful to have the opportunity to learn from her vast knowledge and experience, and this book is truly a must read for white writers and fans trying to do better.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Fantastic.

August 19, 2019 – Shelved