Boxy Frown's Reviews > King

King by Riley Ashby

liked it
bookshelves: arc, bdsm, dark, erotica, http-missboxyfrown-blogspot-com, kinky-fuckery, rich-boys

3.5 rating
King is about a young woman, Sophie, that gets involved (well, traded) to Ellery King because of her alcoholic father's gambling debts. King is dark, mysterious, kinky, and alpha. Sophie is headstrong, yet fragile and as it turns out, kinky as well.

A slimy underbelly is revealed in this book, so the dark ambiance is set. Ellery is a secretive and controlling man, a seeming puppet master to Sophie, who is sometimes unpredictable. They fall fast and hard, with amazing chemistry that produces very sexy and sweet scenes. Considering how they were brought together, will their relationship weather the storm of trust and illegal business dealings?

There were a couple of things that made me want to throw my Kindle - Sophie's temper tantrums and Ellery's easy acquiescence. These dramatic blow ups and apology tours for no good reason seemed out of character for both of them, and there was plenty of tense drama where these episodes weren't needed.

The secondary characters here were great as well, and I actually want to read the next book in this series. Castel is passionate and sexy and I can't wait to read about him some more.
CW/TW for rape/non consensual sexual situation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King.

August 15, 2019 – Started Reading