Kendra's Reviews > Wife 22

Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

Mar 14, 2012

Read from March 14 to 16, 2012

This story features Alice Buckle, a middle-age woman who is feeling tired with life. Her marriage of twenty years has lost its passion, her career is less than fulfilling, her relationship with her children could be better and she is dealing with the grief of losing her mother who died when she was the age Alice is quickly approaching. While muddling through, Alice receives a request to participate in a study sponsored by a nearby college about marriage. In exchange for her honest answers to a multitude of questions about love and marriage, she would get $1000 at the end of the study. On a whim, she decides to participate. This decision changes her life in unexpected ways.

Taking stock and analyzing life is part of growing up, no matter what age you are. How you choose to handle the answers to your personal examination is what really defines a person, in my opinion. This is the part of the story that most captivated me. Watching Alice react to the depressing parts of her life was at times difficult, but I connected with the way she dealt with the aftermath and that is the piece that kept me reading.

This is a great story if you can get past the sometimes frustrating tech-centric writing style Gideon uses. It gets better as it goes along, and the ending is well worth the obstacles.

4 of 5 stars to Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wife 22.