Lisa's Reviews > Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl

Mar 14, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, charity-shop-buy, disappointing, dull
Read on March 14, 2012

I'll admit I was only curious to read this because I really enjoyed the t.v show.

I think my main problem with this was the format. Obviously, it's an actual diary and I actually enjoy books in the diary format when they're interesting. I've never read a diary that was as all-over-the-place as this.

I was expecting something different; something better. I didn't think it was awful but I didn't find much of it very entertaining. A lot of the diary entries would be completely random things that happened to her in the past and I always wondered what inspired her to write about these memories. I wasn't annoyed by the random stories, just that there didn't seem to be a point to them.

Also, I was just bored with most of it. I was mostly looking for the dirty bits or the bits that had to do with being a call girl.

I just found the show to be so very entertaining and addictive. The book doesn't compare. I guess it's like when I read Sex and the City, hoping it'd be like the show, only to find out it sucked balls.

The show had emotion and a likeable main character. This book just didn't do anything for me. The real Belle de Jour sounds crazy. I also hated the way she gave people in her life stupid codenames such as "the boy" and "first date". It completely got on my nerves.

In the end, there was no depth and sometimes a book needs a smidge of depth for it to impact. I recommend the t.v show to anyone looking for something to watch that's similar to Sex and the City. I don't really recommend the book. It's just dull.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belle de Jour.

message 1: by Modus (new)

Modus It's a comedy, what kind of depth did you expect? And you do realize that the "depth" you expect should be from your interpretation of the text? If you expect books to tell you how to feel, maybe you shouldn't be reading...

Lisa I read this year's ago. It was boring and forgettable. I'm sorry you have such a hard on about the book. Not my problem.