Cheri's Reviews > The Confession Club

The Confession Club by Elizabeth Berg

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, arc, netgalley, missouri, small-town, fiction-contemporary, forgiveness

3.5 Stars

The Confession Club is a group of women located in the small community of Mason, Missouri, former home of Arthur Truluv, and includes some of the more notable characters that appeared in the first two books of this Mason trilogy, as well as new, equally unforgettable characters.

For those who have not read The Story of Arthur Truluv: A Novel , or her follow-up book Night of Miracles: A Novel, the main connection making The Confession Club a part of this series are the people who knew and remember Arthur, and Arthur is only there in the memories shared by those people.

The Confession Club was born out of what was originally a monthly gathering of the women in this town, a chance to catch up, vent, share stories, talk about books, and swap recipes for the most part. Until one day, when burdened by some personal crisis, one of them shares her story, and they gather round her to comfort her and reassure her that they, too, have their own struggles behind closed doors. And that changes everything, and all their stories come spilling out, every time a woman shares her burden, they circle around.

Forgiveness. So hard to extend to others for some people, so hard to receive for others, the idea that someone could hear their worst fears and offer something so healing seems to be, these days, such a small-town value, swept aside in faster paced worlds, but so heartwarming to see it.

I enjoyed this, perhaps not quite as much as the first two books but I’m still glad that I took the time to read this heartwarming and charming story.

Pub Date: 19 Nov 2019

Many thanks for the ARC provided by Random House Publishing Group – Random House

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession Club.

August 19, 2019 – Started Reading
August 19, 2019 – Shelved
August 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Angela M Cheri, I loved the first one , the second one not as much, so I have to think about whether to read this one. If you had loved it, I definitely would read it.

Cheri Thank you, Angela, I loved the first one, too. I think this is better than "just okay" but I didn't love it. It has some wonderful moments, but it lacks the overall charm that I loved about the first one.

message 3: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Great review, Cheri 💖 doesn't sound like a series I'd enjoy. Shocker.

Cheri Ha, Felicia, I don't think this is your cup of tea, either, but thank you!

message 5: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Cheri! Sorry you didn't love this as much as the first two books, but glad you still enjoyed!

Cheri Thanks so much, Meredith. Well, it just isn't the same without Arthur, although he is present in many references, but it is still worth reading, and I hope you love it!

Diane S ☔ Very nice review, Cheri.

Cheri Thank you, Diane. You must have done a buddy read!

Brenda -Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Cheri!

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Terrific review, Cheri!

Cheri Thanks so much, Brenda!

Cheri Thank you, Jen!