Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡'s Reviews > Half Truths

Half Truths by Claire Contreras

20997898

bookshelves: arc, favourite

Half Truths is this perfect narrative constructed by some of my favourite tropes—secret societies, enemies to lovers and college sports—beautifully weaved together and set within an eerie, sinister environment that clutched every fibre of my being without remorse. Carefully crafted, Claire Contreras delivered a suspense-filled romance that left me on edge, wondering what questions will be answered and secrets unveiled as each page flew by in the most riveting blur ever.

He had a mysterious aura about him that matched his namesake.

I’m in absolute love with Logan Fitzgerald, a perpetually brooding hero surrounded by an aura of alluring mystery and captivating intrigue. Mean and detached though somehow charming, Fitz’s disinterested attitude is overshadowed by an unforeseen softer, sweeter side hidden beneath the complex multi-facets he possesses. Receiving glimpses of this unattainable hero left me an unashamed wanton mess, desperate to have more of this conceited character because there’s nothing better than having a mean yet romantic hero.

He left a lot to the imagination. Maybe that was it. He gave just enough to pique interest, but not enough to satisfy.

Amelia Bastón’s characterisation truthfully astounded me. She’s more than just a ‘rich girl’ surrounded by materialism and superficiality. Mae’s determination to become more, to achieve her dreams beyond her family’s desires is an admirable and relatable quality that will resonate with readers. Furthermore, her irrevocable love for her brother is an endearment. Combined with an unfettered resolve to uncover some hidden truths unveils a character that’s fierce and intelligent and ambitious; a woman who loves wholly and unconditionally.

“I want you forever, Amelia,” he said against my hair. “And forevermore after that.”

Started as enemies, but turned into lovers, Fitz and Mae’s connection transitioned with such a delicious slow burn, my heart ached to have more once the torture finished. Despite the constant bickering and bantering, the sexual tension and chemistry between them kindled and crackled into something undeniable as it flared across the pages. Even though the romance doesn’t dominate the narrative, Fitz and Mae’s bond progresses naturally and beautifully.

Countless secrets and creative foreshadowing increase the tension and suspense tenfold flowing through this intricate narrative. I’m in absolute love with enemies to lovers and the feature of secret societies and college sports made me more enamoured than I anticipated with Half Truths. It’s as if my heart waited for something this brilliant, a faultless blend of romance and thriller, to be written for years.

Follow me on: Blog | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Truths.

August 19, 2019 – Shelved
August 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 11, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
October 12, 2019 – Started Reading
October 14, 2019 –
October 14, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 15, 2019 – Shelved as: favourite

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Fantastic review, Rochelle! Glad you enjoyed this <3 x

Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡ Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Fantastic review, Rochelle! Glad you enjoyed this <3 x"

Thank you, Alex! I'm glad as well - it caught me by surprise x